Commercial and Farm Trucks Vehicle Services

Apportioned Plates

The International Registration Plan (IRP) is a registration reciprocity agreement among 49 jurisdictions states of the United States and 10 provinces of Canada providing for payment of license fees on the basis of total distance operated. Apportionment is required for vehicles operating in two or more International Registration Plan (IRP) member jurisdictions that have a combined gross weight or used in combination where the weight exceeds of more than 26,000 pounds, including the weight of the vehicle and the maximum load, or is a power unit having three or more axles, regardless of weight. Commercial vehicles weighing less than 26,000 pounds operating intrastate in two or more jurisdictions must also apportion. Apportioned power units (truck, tractor, truck tractor, buses, mobile home trailers, power wreckers) do not have to be titled in Illinois to purchase apportioned plates. Trailers registered in Illinois must be titled in Illinois. A fleet is defined as one or more Apportionable Vehicles registered in the same jurisdictions.

Apportioned Tow Trucks and Household Goods Carriers
Special insurance requirements are in effect for Tow Trucks. Household Goods Carriers have specific instructions for showing the Carrier or Service Provider name on their registrations. For more information regarding tow trucks and household goods carriers, please contact the Commercial & Farm Truck Division at 217-785-1800.

New Applicants
All new applicants are required to pay by secured funds for the first three full years of registration. Acceptable forms of payment are cash, money order, credit/debit card or certified check. A company or personal check may only be accepted with an irrevocable letter guaranteeing payment from your financial institution. Credit/debit card payments may be made by telephone or in person. Credit or debit cards cannot be accepted for any payment where Certified Funds or Certified Checks are required. To apply for first time issuance of IRP plates you must bring:

New applicants will be required to use either the distances published in the International Registration Plan Instruction Manual or on the Average Per Vehicle Distance Chart (VSD 646) as estimates for their first year of operation or provide actual distances accrued during the respective distance reporting period, depending on how the vehicles were previously registered or based upon previous operations.

New applicants may email all the necessary documentation to or schedule an appointment by calling 217-785-1800.

Renewal Applications
Applicants will be sent a reminder via email, if they have less than 250 vehicles in their fleet. The email will contain the PIN for renewal and specific instructions for the distance reporting period. Trailer fleets are no longer sent renewal notices or letters as they are permanent registration.

All distances accrued during the reporting period shown in the renewal letter must be reported on the renewal application or using the web service to renew.

Replacement plates may be ordered using the renewal process. You may also purchase Special Hauling Vehicle Permits (SHV) for the next registration year during renewal.

Applicants are advised to check any information listed on the renewal and make corrections where corrections can be made. Please check any listing of a Fuel Tax number, Interstate Commerce Commission number, Illinois Commerce Commission number, Corporation number or Driver's License number. These should be for the registrant, not whom you may be leased to. Corporations will not have Driver's License numbers. Please enter a special mailing address in its entirety, if necessary. Proper USDOT # verification for each vehicle will be necessary.

Address changes or vehicle information changes may not be made using the web renewal service. Corrections to distance entry or weight group activation may be reset by contacting the Commercial & Farm Truck Division. You may stop and start the renewal process on the web site at any time until an invoice has been calculated. Once the invoice has been calculated you may only obtain a copy of the invoice as no other activity is allowed.

Supplemental Applications
Supplemental applications may be processed after the initial (original) application or renewal. They may be completed for additions, transfers, replacement plates, reclassing weights, duplicate and corrected cab cards and the purchase of Special Hauling Vehicle Permits (SHV).

Payment and Processing
Apportioned plates are only sold at the Commercial & Farm Truck Division in Springfield.

Most applications after the initial renewal are able to be processed via our web supplement system.

Please follow the instructions that print along with your IRP invoice in order to properly submit payment. Certain changes arenot allowed on our web supplement system but those changes can usually be made by submitting an IRP application and appropriate documentation via email to

A licensed remittance agent may also assit you as they are bonded and licensed with the Secretary of State's Office to process applicants and submit payment.

Make an appointment and come to springfield if you are unable to process the desired transaction via email or on our website.

If you have any questions in regards to the above information you may email us at

Each jurisdiction has its own fee schedule and depending on the jurisdictions, the cost varies. After submitting an application, you will be provided with an invoice of the fees owed which will reflect the fee for each jurisdiction. The total amount due will be shown at the bottom of the invoice. The Illinois portion of the registration may be paid by an installment method for any vehicles being charged for a 10-, 11-, or 12-month registration, all foreign fees and additional Illinois fees must be paid with the initial invoice. The second installment is due October 1. An installment bond or a certificate of deposit not to exceed $250,000 per financial institution is required for the second installment. Illinois statutes do not allow a refund on the remainder of unused Apportioned registrations (IRP).

At certain times of the year, fees are credited from a Flat Weight Tax Registration to IRP fees. When making your initial application, indicate that you have a Flat Weight Registration and would like credit, if possible.

Renewal invoices should be paid prior to the April 1st effective date of the registration to avoid enforcement issues. If paying by mail, your check for renewal fees should be received no later than March 1st to ensure ample time for processing and return of credentials before March 31st.

If you do not renew, you must account for your license plates. They may be returned or you may file the Request for Cancellation of Illinois Apportioned (IRP) Plates by April 15th following expiration.

45-Day Temporary Apportionment Authorization Permit
Once the original invoice and the IRP file in good standing, a 45-Day Temporary Apportionment Authorization Permit can be purchased. The purpose of this permit is for temporary operations until the permanent credential can be obtained.

Once a 45-Day Temporary Apportionment Authorization has been issued, it is the responsibility of the applicant to submit the application for the reason of the permit within 5 days of the issuance of the permit. Failure to timely submit can cause the applicant to forfeit the privilege of future temporary permits.

Farm Plates

Farm Registration allows reduced fees for farmers who haul their own commodities in a not-for-hire operation and certain for-hire purposes. No surety bond is required. Farm Plates may be used for trucks, truck tractors and trailers used in various farming operations. Farm Vehicles may be operated out-of -state on a limited basis. Illinois Farm Registration is recognized by most states. Before entering another state, however, truck operators should check with that state.

Farm Plates may be issued to any vehicle that is used exclusively for the owner's agricultural, horticultural or livestock operations and not-for-hire. Farm Plates may also be issued to for-hire vehicles only in the transportation of seasonal, fresh, perishable fruit or vegetables from the farm to the point of first processing. An applicant is limited to five sets of plates for power units, of which only two sets of plates may exceed 59,500 pounds plus two Farm Trailer Plates.

A UCR# or USDOT # may be required if your commodity that you are moving using the Farm Plate crosses jurisdictional boundaries or is taken out of state. You may deliver to a local elevator or processing station, but if that commodity is further shipped out of state, a UCR#/USDOT# may be required. The UCR#/USDOT# is actually a USDOT number. Please contact the Illinois Commerce Commission for further information on the UCR program or contact the USDOT for information regarding the USDOT number.

Farm plates may be purchased at the Commercial and Farm Truck Division office in Springfield and Level 3 Secretary of State facilities.

Flat Weight Tax Registration (Fiscal)

Flat Weight Tax Registration is based on the combined gross weight of the vehicle. There is a limited liability to operate in other jurisdictions based upon weight, number of axles or intra/interstate operation. For information regarding trip permits, contact the jurisdiction of travel.

A USDOT# is not required for fiscal Flat Weight Registrations at this time. Rules and regulations are being reviewed and may be mandated by the United States Department of Transportation at a future period. You will need a USDOT# to comply with the UCR (Unified Carrier Registration) requirements if the commodity you are carrying is taken out of state after your initial delivery. Please contact the Illinois Commerce Commission for information.

Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (FORM 2290)

The FORM 2290, or HVUT (Heavy Vehicle Use Tax) Schedule 1, is a form used to prove that the Internal Revenue Service has received payment or suspension for taxes as required on vehicles registered at 55,000 pounds and more. The form indicates if the tax was paid or suspended for the reasons allowed by the IRS. The acceptable tax year form is equal to or greater than the registration year depending on the time within the year for registration. Altered tax forms are not acceptable even if they were altered by the IRS. The name on the tax form should match the name of the vehicle's owner (or at least have a visible connection).

A 2290 Form is required of every vehicle registered at 55,000 pounds or more if purchased more than 60 days from the date being registered. The FORM 2290, Schedule 1 may be obtained by contacting the IRS. For information regarding how to obtain a form, paying the tax or other information, please contact the IRS at 800-829-1040 or

A previous owner's tax payment cannot be used as proof of payment or suspension for your vehicle(s). A vehicle owner is entitled to a refund of the remaining months for the tax period when selling the vehicle during the tax year. The new owner is responsible for the payment of the tax upon taking possession of the vehicle. Please contact the IRS for further information and/or clarification.

Mileage Plates Tax Registration

Mileage Tax Registration allows reduced fees depending on the weight of the vehicle and the number of miles operated. Illinois law allows these vehicles to be operated in Illinois for a limited number of miles, and operators are charged less registration fees than those of long-distance carriers. Mileage Tax Registration does not allow out-of-state operation. There is no restriction on the load and a $500 surety bond is required.

Mileage Tax Registration is binding for the fiscal year. Therefore, reclassing to a Flat Weight Tax Registration is not permitted during the effective year. Mileage Tax registration may be upgraded to a higher weight during the registration year. Additional fees will apply.

Because of mileage requirements, vehicles with a Mileage Tax Registration must have working odometers. Trailers are required to have hub-o-meters. Mileage Tax Registrations are subject to suspension or revocation for failure to report mileage, as well as operating vehicles with disconnected or broken odometers or hub-o-meters.

The combined gross weight of a vehicle will determine the number of miles allowed to be driven and the fees assessed. Because of the bonding requirements, Mileage Tax plates are only available at the Commercial and Farm Truck Division, 501 S. Second St., Room 300, Springfield. Renewal may only be processed at the Joliet and Carbondale facilities as well as CFT in Springfield.

Surety bonds of $500 per Mileage Tax plate are required by the Secretary of State's office as a guarantee of payment of excess fees. The bonds must be from surety companies approved by the Illinois Department of Insurance. (Schedule Bond CFT IT 8.4)

At this time, we will not require a USDOT# for Mileage Tax Registrations. Rules and regulations are being reviewed and may be mandated by the United States Department of Transportation at a future period. You may need a USDOT# to comply with the UCR (Unified Carrier Registration) requirements if the commodity you are carrying is taken out of state after your initial delivery. Please contact the Illinois Commerce Commission for information.

Mileage tax reporting is due by July 10 following the expiration of the license plate. For convenience to registrants, an on-line Mileage Reporting process has been developed to replace to outdated paper reports. This on-line process will be available from June 1 to July 30 annually to comply with the statutory reporting requirements. After the web based process has been closed, registrants must contact the Commercial & Farm Truck Division for a paper report to be immediately filed. Failure to report odometer readings will constitute grounds for revocation action on all Mileage Weight Tax Registrations and any other registrations in matching names.

Special Hauling Vehicle Permit

A Special Hauling Vehicle Permit (SHV) allows certain vehicles to be exempt from the federal bridge formula while operating on Illinois highways. The SHV Permit allows a certain amount of weight for a certain configuration of a vehicle(s). The SHV Permit also allows an overweight ticket for a specific purpose instead of dropping a portion of the load. The Special Hauling Vehicle Permit Application specifically states the purposes and benefits of an SHV Permit. The following vehicles qualify for an SHV Permit:

SHV Permits may be purchased at the Commercial and Farm Truck Division office in Springfield and at select Secretary of State facilities. SHV Permits may be purchased for Apportioned Plates at the time of renewal by clicking the box marked SHV, or the IRP web supplement. Fees will be included on your renewal invoice. The permit costs $125 and can be transferred at no fee. The fee is $128.00 if purchased after the renewal. The Secretary of State's office no longer issues the SHV sticker or decals. The proof of purchase of the SHV Permit will be on the registration card of the apportioned cab card.

SHV Permits for IRP are no longer sold at Secretary of state facilities other than Out-of-State IRP registrants.

Out-of-State IRP registrants may purchase an SHV Permit if the following applies:

The SHV Permit is not for overweight purposes. The SHV Permit application explains the permits specific uses and purposes. Depending on the configuration of the vehicle, the maximum weight with an SHV Permit is 72,000 pounds The SHV Permit does have a provision allowing overweight up to 4,000 pounds for vehicles hauling concrete or asphalt in its plastic state without shifting or reducing the load. The vehicle will still be ticketed for overweight if it is registered at 80,000 pounds and the vehicle configuration does not meet the definitions provided. In that case, the SHV Permit may not be applicable for your vehicle. If you are making an overweight operation, please contact the Illinois Department of Transportation at 217-782-6271 for instructions.

Covered Farm Vehicle Permits

Under the provisions of MAP 21 rules from the Federal Government, certain vehicles may be designated by states as "Covered Farm Vehicles" for the exemptions and benefits stated within the program. Vehicles with a registered weight 12,000 pounds or less qualify for this permit. In Illinois, vehicles with B, D or MD registrations may purchase a permit for an additional $10 annually designating that vehicle as a "Covered Farm Vehicle" subject to the limitations and rules of similarly plated farm registrations. Permits are available at any facility where a sticker can be purchased over the counter. A form to apply is available prior to permit purchase.