FAQ Commercial and Farm Trucks Vehicle Services

What is IRP?
The International Registration Plan (IRP) is a registration reciprocity agreement among states of the United States and provinces of Canada providing for payment of license plate fees on the basis of total distance operated in all jurisdictions.

What is an Apportioned (IRP) Registration?
Apportionment is required for vehicles operating in two or more International Registration Plan (IRP) member jurisdic- tions that have a combined gross weight of more than 26,000 pounds, including the weight of the vehicle and the max- imum load, or is a power unit having three or more axles, regardless of weight. Commercial vehicles weighing less than 26,000 pounds operating intrastate in two or more jurisdictions must apportion.

What is a fleet?
A fleet is one or more apportioned vehicles registered in the same jurisdictions.

How much will an Apportioned (IRP) Plate cost the first time it is purchased?
Because each jurisdiction has its own fee schedule, and depending on the jurisdictions in which you are going to appor- tion, the cost varies. After submitting an application you will receive an invoice, which will reflect the fee for each jurisdiction. The total amount due is at the bottom of the invoice.

Where do I purchase an Apportioned (IRP) Plate?
Apportioned Plates may only be purchased at the following location: Secretary of State Commercial and Farm Truck Division 501 S. Second St., Rm. 300 Springfield, IL 62756 217-785-1800

Do I have to come to Springfield to apply for an Apportioned (IRP) Plate?
Because Apportioned Plates are only sold in Springfield, there are three options for processing your application or to make a payment. The application or payment may be mailed to Springfield (allow two to three weeks for processing), submitted by a remittance agent or brought to the office in person. Remitter agents are bonded and licensed with the Secretary of State's office to process applications and submit payment. For the fastest service, make an appointment and come to Springfield. Appointments are available from 8:30 a.m. to noon on weekdays. Please check holiday closings.

Do I need to title my vehicle in Illinois in order to purchase an Apportioned (IRP) Plate?
Apportioned power units (truck, tractor, truck tractor, buses, mobile home trailers, power wreckers) do not have to be titled in Illinois in order to purchase Apportioned Plates. However, trailers registered in Illinois must be titled in Illinois.

What documents do I need to apply for IRP Plates for the first time?

Can I receive a temporary permit to drive?
Once you have paid the original invoice and have an IRP file in good standing, you may purchase a 45-Day Temporary Apportionment Authorization Permit. Permits are sold at certain Secretary of State facilities or wire services. For a com- plete listing of Secretary of State facilities, please refer to the IRP Manual. Once a 45-Day Permit has been issued, it is the responsibility of the applicant to submit the application for the reason of the permit within five days of issuance of the permit. Failure to timely submit may cause the applicant to forfeit future temporary permits.

How do I upgrade to a different weight?
Vehicles may be upgraded to a higher weight by submitting a supplemental application. Vehicles cannot be downgraded to lower weights. A supplemental application must be submitted and the additional fees will be invoiced to the applicant. Immediate operation at the new weight may be done on a 45-Day Temporary Apportionment Authorization Permit, with the application process following in the required time period.

I drove on my IRP Plate for six months and then sold the truck. Can I get a refund?
Illinois statutes do not allow for a refund on the remainder of any used Apportioned registrations.

What is a supplement?
All applications processed after the initial application or renewal are considered "supplements." A supplemental applica- tion may be completed for additions, transfers, replacement plates, reclassing weight, or for dupli- cate or corrected Cab Cards.

Can I fax my IRP Application or submit it online?
No. IRP Applications must be mailed to or dropped off at the Secretary of State's office in Springfield. The office does not accept faxed applications nor does it have online capabilities for supplemental applications at this time. Renewal applications only may be processed online.

How long do I have to be under "Secured Funds?"
All new applicants are required to pay by "secured funds" for the first three full years of registration. Acceptable forms of payment are cash, money order, credit/debit card or certified check. A company or personal check may be accepted with an irrevocable letter guaranteeing payment from the financial institution.

Can I pay for my IRP Plate in installments?
The Illinois portion of the registration may be paid by an installment method for any vehicles being charged for a 10- to 12-month registration. The first installment is included with your invoice payment and the second installment is due October 1. An installment bond or a certificate of deposit not to exceed $250,000 per financial institution is required for the second installment.

How can I obtain an IRP Application?
IRP Application

Do I need an appointment to submit my IRP application?
Yes. Appointments are required year-round for processing IRP applications. Appointments are available from 8:30 a.m. to noon, Monday through Friday. An appointment is not required when only making payment, unless it is for 100 units or more.

I have lost my credentials (plate, cab card or both). How can I continue to operate?
You may obtain a 45-Day Temporary Apportionment Authorization Permit to continue operation until you have submitted the proper application and fees to replace what was lost. (See "Can I Receive A Temporary Permit To Drive?")

What is required to apportion a tow truck?
For information regarding insurance requirements, plate display regulations and proper weight to register this type of vehicle, please call the Commercial and Farm Truck Division at 217-785-1800.

I am a Household Goods Carrier. How do I apportion my truck?
For information regarding Household Good Carriers, call the Commercial and Farm Truck Division at 217-785-1800.

New Applicant Processing

What is required to purchase an Apportioned Plate for the first time?
What is acceptable proof of ownership for a vehicle?
What is required to establish residency?

IRP Renewals

I did not receive an IRP renewal application like I have in the past. How should I renew?
The Secretary of State's office no longer mails IRP renewal application packets. If you have fewer than 250 vehicles, you should receive a renewal letter or an email with specific instruction for obtaining your PIN to renew online. The letter and/or email also contains instructions for processing your renewal. If you have more than 250 vehicles, special instructions will be sent to the contact person of your company. Your renewal will be processed using a different format.

Do I need a 2290 Heavy Use Vehicle Tax Form?
A current 2290 Schedule 1 form is required for vehicles weighing 55,000 pounds or more. The date on the form must be for the current tax year. The name must match the titled owner of the vehicle or have a visible tie to the owner's name.

My truck is leased to a company but the file is in my name. Do I need a USDOT number?
Possibly, if you are classified as a motor carrier. There is a separate place on the application to enter the USDOT number of the entity responsible for the safety of your vehicles along with a space for the lessor or owner of the vehicle (not you) if they have a USDOT number of their own.

Why am I required to have a USDOT number?
The USDOT number is required under the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulation for commercial motor vehicles that transport property or passengers in interstate commerce. The USDOT requires that all motor carriers have their own USDOT numbers to operate interstate. You may obtain a USDOT number by visiting www.safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/ or by call- ing the Federal Highway Administration at 800-832-5660.

What distance (mileage) do I use?
You must report actual distance if you operated during the reporting period. Reporting period will be shown in the renewal instructions.

Can I fax you my renewal application?
No. Faxed applications are not accepted. Please use the website for online renewals

Can the Secretary of State's office tell me what my fees will be ahead of time?
No. Fees are calculated based upon the mileage percentages and particular jurisdiction formulations.

How do I replace an IRP Plate that is damaged? Can I request a replacement at the time of renewal?
Yes. You may request a replacement plate by selecting "RP" on the online renewal service. An "X" must be placed in the "replace plate" box on the paper application. A $6 replacement fee per plate will be added to your renewal.

I received my renewal letter but was not given an appointment.
No pre-assigned appointments were made this year. You may use the IRP online renewal if you have less than 250 vehi- cles and are not making any significant changes to your operation. If you must visit the Springfield office to renew your registration, please make an appointment first by calling 217-782-4815 or 217-782-4816. Have your firm and fleet num- bers available.

My ICC/ILCC (Interstate Commerce Commission and/or Illinois Commerce Commission) number is wrong and/or missing; the fuel tax number is wrong and/or missing; my driver's license number is wrong and/or miss- ing; or my corporation number is wrong and/or missing. What should I do?
If you are processing a paper application, make the changes and submit the application. If you are using the online renew- al system, make the necessary changes and complete the process to obtain your invoice. The numbers need to be yours and not that of the company your vehicle may be leased to. Illinois (domestic) corporations have a corporation number but will not have a listed driver's license number. Foreign (out-of-state) corporations that do not have an Illinois number may leave it blank on the application, but may be required to prove its "Good Standing" if requested.

Have the Commercial Distribution Fees (CDF) been reduced this year?
No. The fees were reduced in 2006 to a 14.35 percent surcharge and have remained at that rate.

I just received an invoice for the next year's renewal. Do I have to pay now?
The invoice for any renewal must be paid before April 1. If you mail the payment, make sure a copy of the invoice is attached and is received by the Secretary of State's office no later than March 1. Please pay attention to any special wording on your invoice. A "certified check or secured funds required" notation means that your personal or business check will not be accepted without an irrevocable letter of credit from the financial institution that the check is drawn upon. Other acceptable payments include cash (in person only), credit or debit cards (not allowed to satisfy Certified Fund requirements), money orders or cashier's checks.

I do not plan to renew my registrations. What is required?
You must account for all IRP Plates in your possession, even if they have expired. You must complete and return a Request for Cancellation of Illinois Apportioned (IRP) Plates Form. All forms and license plates MUST be returned to the Secretary of State's office by April 15th of the unrenewed registration year, to avoid any further activity or enforcement action.

Can I have my IRP renewal letter reprinted?
Yes, you may call 217-782-4815 or 217-782-4816 to request a reprint. You must have your firm and fleet numbers to request a reprint. You must have an email address to send the reprinted form to for processing.

My invoice states "Certified Check or Secured Funds Required." What payment types are acceptable?
Acceptable forms of payment include cashier's checks, certified checks, money orders, personal or business checks when accompanied by an irrevocable letter or credit from the financial institution, and credit or debit cards (not allowed for certified check payments). There is a 2.35 percent processing fee for credit/debit card transactions. Call 217-785- 1800 and select option 6 for credit/debit card payments. Phone transactions will be mailed. To receive credentials paid for by credit/debit cards in person you must make the payment in person.

How do I obtain an SHV Permit for a vehicle?
If the vehicle had an SHV Permit in the current registration year, it will automatically be invoiced for an SHV in renewal year, unless you remove the selection when processing online. If the vehicle did not have an SHV Permit in current year, please indicate that you need a SHV Permit by selecting "SHV" on the online renewal. Fees for SHV Permits will be included on your IRP renewal invoice. If you have already paid your renewal, you must submit a supplemental applica- tion for the vehicle(s) and indicate SHV in the appropriate column. You will be invoiced accordingly.

If I am only making a payment, do I need an appointment?
No, payments do not require an appointment. However, for anything other than making a payment, such as making changes or corrections, an appointment is required. To pay for a fleet of more than 100 vehicles, an appointment should be made. Please note any special instructions and/or payment deadlines in the renewal instructions or online.

I need to change the address listed on my file. What forms of identification are required?
You must provide a copy of your most recent telephone bill in the registrant's name that matches the address. In addition, three other forms of ID must be submitted to verify identification. Acceptable proof can be an Illinois driver's license (for individuals), property tax receipt, rental or lease agreement for the property, and utility bills (gas, water, electric, cable, garbage). If any of the documentation does not match the name on the registration, a letter of explanation must be submitted with the application. Address changes cannot be made online.

Does the Secretary of State's office still mail Apportioned Trailer renewals?
No. Apportioned trailers are automatically renewed since they are permanent plates. You may submit a list of trailers to be removed from service so that the license plates can be deleted from the system. Applications still may be accepted for replacement plates and/or cab cards. Reminder: These license plates cannot be transferred to another trailer in their ownership.

I have left telephone messages but have not heard back from the Secretary of State's office. What should I do?
The Commercial and Farm Truck Division experiences a high volume of calls. Please be patient; a return telephone call will be made usually within three to five days.

I have renewed my plates prior to the start of the April 1 registration year and have traded trucks. Can I transfer my plates for both years?
This can be done with the Multi-Year Supplement Processing. A supplement is processed for the transfer in the current registration year. After payment is received an automatic invoice for the appropriate fees is generated to correct the cab card for the renewed registration in the new year.

Can I add new trucks to my renewal?
Any new trucks added to your fleet must have the fees paid for the current registration year before they can be added to the renewal.

Supplement Processing

As of March 1, 2019, our office has implemented a web-based IRP application for you to process many of your supplements. This new program has been created to provide invoices and IRP 45-Day Temporary Permits much more quickly. You will need to follow the printed instructions regarding your payment.

We will be able to process the following changes to your file:

You will have the opportunity to purchase an IRP 45- Day Temporary Permit ($3) for these changes, with the exception of renewable units, at the same time as long as your firm is not prevented from doing so due to previous Temporary Permit abuse. IRP 45-Day Temporary Permits will no longer be available at Secretary of State Facilities.

Print everything provided at the end of the web supplement process and then follow the instructions to submit your payment. We strongly suggest submitting your payment within 10 days to allow for sufficient processing time.

Access the IRP Supplemental Application.

I have traded trucks. Can I transfer my IRP Plate?
Yes, IRP Plates may be transferred. Proof of ownership is required and a copy of the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (2290 Schedule 1) form if the new vehicle was purchased more than 60 days from the date shown on your ownership document.

Can I increase the weights of my truck?
Yes, supplements may be processed to reclass individual trucks. The IRP Application must have the vehicle information completed and the increased weights in the jurisdictions you are currently apportioned with.

Can I replace a plate or my ID card?
Yes, supplements may be processed for replacement plates for a fee of $6 per plate. Duplicate cab cards are $3.

Can I correct the USDOT number responsible for safety, unit number and lessor on a vehicle?
Yes, proof of ownership is required to change the lessor name. A unit number may not be duplicated or reused during a registration year. Proof of the USDOT number will be required when making a change to the responsible carrier. The following documents are acceptable:

IRP Web Renewal Site

Can I change my name and/or address using the Web renewal service?
No. These changes require an application and supporting documentation processed by the Commercial and Farm Truck Division.

I renewed online but now have changes. My invoice looks wrong and I may have made a mistake. It appears to be missing jurisdictions; it has too many jurisdictions; I submitted the wrong mileage on the system. What should I do to make these corrections?
Submit your invoice or application to the Secretary of State's office along with a letter detailing the necessary changes. A new invoice will be mailed to you when the changes are completed. Address, name or vehicle changes require sup- porting documentation. Information you provide using the Web renewal service may be able to be reset, allowing you to obtain a corrected invoice. For instructions, please contact the Commercial and Farm Truck Division at 217-785-1800.

The website is not responding or I lost the connection. Can I get back online and finish my renewal application?
Until you reach the invoice screen during the renewal process, you may restart the process or make corrections. Once you have passed the invoice screen, you may not change any entry on the renewal.

I lost PIN. Can I obtain another one?
A PIN must be requested online by following the "forgot PIN" instructions. PIN information will be sent to you via email to ensure security.

I do not have a computer to renew online. What should I do?
You may use any computer with Internet capabilities. Secretary of State facilities do not provide Internet services for online renewal.

Can I return to the website and reprint my invoice?
Yes, you may re-enter the Web service for this purpose only. No changes can be made to previously entered information.

Some of my information is incorrect. What should I do?
Any area that allows an entry or change will be clearly indicated on the screen. Any area that is not available for change may not be changed using the online renewal system. Per the instructions, any information that is missing or incorrect and you have the ability to make changes, please make the changes. It must be your information and not that of whom the vehicle is leased to. Please read all instructions and narratives for explanations. If you have any questions during the renewal process, you may contact the Commercial and Farm Truck Division by clicking "Contact Us" or go to the con- tact page for Commercial and Farm Truck Division.

In the past, I had a mailing address listed on the website, that is now not listed, or I have a correction to be made on the mailing address. What should I do?
Your mailing address may be changed without specific proof required on the website. The address should be where your mail will be sent. If it is the same as your physical address, you do not need to do anything.

Heavy Vehicle Use Tax Form (2290, Schedule 1)

What is a 2290 form?
Form 2290, Schedule 1 (Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return), is used to prove that the Internal Revenue Service has received payment or suspension for taxes as required on vehicles registered at 55,000 pounds and more. The form indicates if the tax was paid or suspended for the reasons allowed by the IRS. Please note that the "current year" is either equal to or greater than the calendar year number. Altered tax forms are not acceptable. The name on the tax form should match the name of the vehicle's owner (or at least have a visible connection).

Do I need a 2290 form to register my vehicle?
A 2290 form is required of every vehicle registered at 55,000 pounds or more if purchased more than 60 days from the date being registered.

Where do I get a 2290 form?
The 2290 form must be obtained from the IRS. To obtain a form or for more information, please contact the IRS at 800- 429-1040 or www.irs.gov.

I bought a vehicle from another person. Can I use their tax payment as proof?
No, the previous owner of a vehicle is entitled to a refund of the remaining months for the tax period. The new owner is responsible for payment of the tax upon taking possession of the vehicle. For more information, please contact the IRS at 800-429-1040 or www.irs.gov.

Special Hauling Vehicle Permit

What is a Special Hauling Vehicle Permit?
A Special Hauling Vehicle Permit (SHV) allows certain vehicles to be exempt from the federal bridge formula while oper- ating on Illinois highways. The SHV Permit allows a certain amount of weight for a certain configuration of a vehicle(s). The SHV Permit also allows an overweight ticket for a specific purpose instead of dropping a portion of the load.

How do I get an SHV Permit?
SHV Permits may be purchased at the Commercial and Farm Truck Division in Springfield and at Level 3 Secretary of State facilities. SHV Permits may be purchased for Apportioned Plates at the time of renewal by using the SHV Application, an IRP Application or the Web renewal service. Fees will be included on your renewal invoice.

How much does an SHV Permit cost?
The permit costs $125 and can be transferred at no cost.

How do I know if my vehicle qualifies for an SHV Permit? How do I know if I should purchase an SHV Permit?
The SHV Application specifically states the purposes and benefits of the permit.

My vehicle is registered at 80,000 pounds. Do I need an SHV Permit for overweight purposes?
The SHV Permit is not for overweight purposes. The SHV Permit Application explains the permit's specific uses and pur- poses. Depending on the configuration of the vehicle, the maximum weight for an SHV Permit is 72,000 pounds. The SHV Permit does have a provision allowing overweight up to 4,000 pounds for vehicles hauling concrete or asphalt in its plastic state without shifting or reducing the load. The vehicle will still be ticketed for overweight if it is registered at 80,000 pounds and the vehicle configuration does not meet the definitions provided. In that case, the SHV Permit may not be for your vehicle. For more information, please call the Secretary of State.

I purchased my SHV Permit at a Secretary of State facility and it is not indicated on my IRP Cab Card. What should I do?
You may attach the permit to your cab card and carry it in your vehicle, or you may apply for a corrected IRP cab card and have the SHV information included. There is a $3 fee for the corrected cab card if a supplemental application is sub- mitted for the correction.

I have an out-of-state IRP registration, but I also need an SHV Permit. Can I get one?
Out-of-state IRP registrants may purchase an SHV Permit if the following applies:

I did not receive an SHV Permit sticker this year. How do I get one?
The Secretary of State's office no longer issues SHV stickers or decals. The purchase of an SHV Permit is noted on the registration card or the apportioned cab card.


What if I have an IRP Registration and want a Flat Weight Tax Registration. Can I obtain a credit?
Because there is no credit when switching from IRP to Flat Weight Tax Registration, you may continue operations on the IRP Registration until the March 31 expiration date. You may then apply for the last quarter Flat Weight Tax Registration to coincide with the appropriate registration year.

What type of plate do I purchase for my semi-trailer?
A semi-trailer plate (ST) is permanent and not transferable. Trailer registration for semi-trailer plates or apportioned full trailer plates is $19. You may also purchase "T" apportioned trailer plates, but this must be pre-approved by the Commercial and Farm Truck Division.

What is a Schedule "G" and why do I need to complete this form?
A Schedule "G" provides an applicant's previous registration history, business plan, operating authority and audit histo- ries. This form assists the Secretary of State's Field Services and IRP Divisions in determining the jurisdictions for which an applicant will be approved for apportionment. All questions on the Schedule G form must be answered. Additional information may be submitted on a separate sheet of paper if needed.