Corrected Titles Vehicle Services

When Do I Need a Corrected Title?

There are three instances when you must apply for a corrected title. If your original title is lost, stolen or mutilated, you must apply for a Duplicate Title.

Note: Corrected title applications involving the removal of a name because of divorce or the death of a co-owner or for changing an owner's name because of marriage must be accompanied with a $15 title fee. Other changes may be made at the same time providing divorce, death of a co-owner or marriage is the prevailing reason for the change.

When seeking to correct information on your title, and the title has been lost, stolen or mutilated, you must apply for a Duplicate Title. However, you may check the box for corrected title if one of the above listed conditions apply.

Fill Out Application

You must fill out the Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (VSD 190).


Illinois titles are mailed to the lienholder if a lien is applied. Include the complete name and address of the lienholder on the duplicate title application. If there is no lien, the title will be mailed to the principal owner listed first on the application or to the address listed in the "Mail To" area.

To Remove Lienholder:

Submit Application

You must submit your application, a surrender title, and the $50 title fee to the Secretary of State's Office. Applications will be returned if the information or fee is insufficient.
By mail:
Office of the Secretary of State
Vehicle Services Department
501 S. 2nd. St., Rm. 055
Springfield, IL 62756-6666

In-person at a Secretary of State facility.

For More Information or to Request an Application Form: Call toll-free in Illinois (800) 252-8980 Chicago (312) 793-1010; or Springfield (217) 782-6306.