Transferring Plates Vehicle Services
You must fill out the Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (VSD 190). The Electronic Registration and Title (ERT) System allows you to complete and print an Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (VSD 190) online.
You cannot currently complete a transfer only transaction using the online system.
Alternatively, you may visit a Secretary of State facility and complete Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (VSD 190) or call 800-252-8980 (Illinois Only) to receive the form.
- Check Transfer or Title and Transfer if the applicant wants to transfer current plates.
- The fee for Transfer Only is $25, and the fee for Title and Transfer is $180. ($155 title fee, $25 transfer fee)
- Make sure the correct vehicle information and the correct license plate number being transferred are filled in on the application.
- Enclose the most recent vehicle registration identification card for the license plate number being transferred.
- If the new vehicle will be owned by one person, but the last vehicle was registered in two or more names, the individuals whose names will no longer be appearing as owners on the new vehicle must release their interest in the license plates by submitting a completed Affirmation of Correction (VSD 393). The Affirmation of Correction must include the Illinois license plate number.
Death of a Vehicle Owner
Upon the death of a vehicle owner, the procedures for transferring the vehicle title depends on whether the title was in the individual name of the deceased or in joint ownership. If the title was in the deceased's name only, the procedure depends on whether the deceased's estate is being probated. More about transferring the title in case of a deceased owner.
When You Cannot Transfer
If a company incorporates, the firm is considered a separate, incorporated entity, and plates cannot be transferred from the original company. In Illinois, license plates belong to an owner, not the vehicle. Therefore, you cannot transfer ownership of license plates when you sell a car or transfer a title. You can only transfer license plates to another vehicle you own.
What Should be Processed as Corrected Titles
- Individual to Sole Proprietorship: John Wilson to John Wilson Trucking Company.
- Merger: one surviving corporation absorbs one or more corporations.
- Corporation Name Change.